13 Mar 2009

"Drive My Car" the Beatles



When the letter arrived at my home I nearly threw it away thinking it was junk mail! As it turned out how wrong I was. I looked at the letter again, 10 days later, before I put it into the paper recycle trash and could not see any mention of cost so I rang the Porsche hot line and was told that the whole event was free including the flights and transport to Silverstone.

On the day it turned out to be a fantastic experience. Porsche GB laid on a very well organised event. I enjoyed the whole experience of my time at the centre. The Centre is well laid out to view all the Porsche car range and you can take any of the cars out to have a test drive. You can even take your own Porsche out on the circuit. The handling circuit roads are well laid out with varying camber and blind corners and my driving consultant, Ian, knew everything about the new cars that we were driving on the day, the 2009 update of the Porsche Boxster. The low friction skid pan and ice hill roads were a revelation and taught me that breaking on ice should be part of my instincts from now on with a car fitted with the PSM. A point worth noting, if you have a car with anti-lock braking (ABS)installed. And the food; the food is exceptional! You will have to go far to get food as well prepared and presented as this. We arrived at the Porsche centre just in time for lunch, had our 2hours of great driving and then returned inside to receive afternoon tea with sandwiches, scones with clotted cream and strawberries, cake and home-made biscuits.

There were 20 new Boxsters waiting for us to drive and we all got a drive in both engine sizes; the 2.9 ltr and the 3.4 ltr. They were all washed and ready for our use. I have to say that I do not know how the Porsche engineers can make the best handling road car better but they have done it. The standard Boxster is now better to drive than my 8 yrs old Boxster S with a bigger engine; Increadable.

Now where is that money box?

1 comment:

Irene said...

Wow! That was a blessing. You deserve it for the work you do for the children.