12 Aug 2006

“Bookends” by Simon & Garfunkel

Best song title that I can come up with Janet!

I’ve been tagged!!

I've just noticed that I've been tagged by LORD CELERY!

Here's the task that Ive been tagged with:
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next
3 sentences on your blog along with these instructions.
5. Don’t you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.
6. Tag five people.

*************************************************
Here are the three sentences that are on page 123 of my book:


Among the gentry even the average family would need to employ a number of servants to enable it to maintain its expected place in society, and the wealfare of the family the greater the number.

The ratio of searvant to income was well understood in Jane’s day, and is reflected in her novels: Mrs and Miss Bates can only afford the one little maid-of-all-work, Patty, to whom they probably paid between 5 and 10 Guineas a year, and the impoverished Prices, in their Portmouth back street, have two sluttish maids.

Mrs Dashwood and her daughter, who’s income is reduced to £500 a year, can still afford 2 maids and a general manservant; going up the scale, Mr Bennet as a family man with about £2,000 a year might expect to employ 8 female servants and 8 men servants; while Bingley, Darcy and Rushworth probably employed 2 dozen or more.

Taken from: Jane Austen: The World of Her Novels by Deirdre Le Faye.

***************************************************

Thank you Janet for that Tagging.

Not sure I can tag 5 people but here’s who I am tagging:
1. Lord Celery's Little Brother
2. Irene
3. Lyanne
4. Anthony's Kingdom
5. Kyle

Give it a go all of you. Ta, Iain



1 comment:

Irene said...

I saw me among the people that Lyanne is tagged to, then I saw me among the people that you are tagged to. I looked up in the dictionary exactly what is 'tagged' and I think I know the meaning! I am going to blog who I am tagged to! This is fun.